Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Seahorse Art and Swimming Stars

Next Swims:
Mon - Fri 6 am and 5pm
Sun 8am and noon


Last Swim: 6am Tuesday
Water Temp: 55.7
Air Temp: 70-ish, though dropping as we approached the water.  Bonus beautiful fog.
Clarity: crystal
Waves: like glass
Kru: Lydia the Tattooed Lady, Dragonfly, Showgirl, Diablo on the early shift
Shore Support:  dude with a kayak

The radar looked iffy pre-6am today, but we went to the beach anyway, and as usual, the rewards were great.

We were delighted by this arrangement of yellow seahorses, arching branches, and rocks.  You just never know what ephemeral art installation will appear on the beach.  We were grateful to the mystery artist.



Those are yellow seahorses, with assorted other artistically arranged twigs and rocks.


Even at the bottom of the ramp, the air started to cool, and it dropped further as I stood in the water taking the temperature.  55.7.  

The fog moved in and out.


Amazing layers of fog

TTL stoically swam to the Tree Massacre.  Dragonfly and I swam skin through weird pockets of cold and not-so-cold water, ultimately staying in far longer than we expected.  I made a last minute trip to the sewer pipe.

I think the water outside the rockpiles was closer to 60, but I'm still not sure if the cold was suggesting some bad choices.


The fog as we walked up the ramp.

There was lots of shivering as we disrobed and re-robed.  In the meantime, a guy and his kayak arrived on the beach, and seemed unsure of how to manage his wetsuit and baggy shorts.  I think he was relieved by our departure, so he could sort out his issues alone.




Finally.... when I got home and looked at the report of my swim, I saw this star I swam around the rockpile.

1 comment:

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

Reiterating my view that Love Rock is about 600 yards. We do want Adam to come back especially if he is bringing beer.