Friday, June 18, 2021

A Winning Streak Continues!

 Next Swims:

Mon - Fri 6 am and afternoons at 5pm
Sat/Sun 8am and noon
Sat 6:00 a.m. (for crazy people)
Happy Juneteenth!

Last Swim: 6am Friday, (also Mon, Tues, Wed and Thurs at 6am)
Water Temp: low-mid 63-64
Air Temp: probably close to 70
Clarity: yecchy
Waves: 2 feet? Estimated
Kru: Lydia TTL, Showgirl, Rosa, Dragonfly

Where was everybody this morning?  Maybe they had better things to do than get tossed around in the wash cycle.  

I have read that wave height estimates should always be halved, but that's for sailors not swimmers.  So I have estimated on the conservative side.  We probably could say 3 feet and get away with it.

Showgirl continued her winning streak of 10 swimming days.

"In a Row?" I asked.

"That's generally what a streak is," she said just slightly sarcastically.

We ventured south hoping for a nice push back.  Some thunderstorms were sliding away from us, according to radar, but the sky was dramatic.


Showgirl's lime crocs in the foreground.  Thanks Lydia for this great photo!

The water felt cold (quelle surprise.)  The other three took off further offshore than me - I like to stay inshore as I don't like using a buoy.  I kept sight of them for maybe a minute, then was on my own.

I turned at Love Rock.  Sometimes swimming into the waves is actually easier than the return trip which had lots of ups and downs. I kept going off at right angles to the shore.  Major exertion to time your breathing with the ups.  I could see how this would not be everyone's cup of tea.  Despite the general unpleasantness, I found a decent rhythm.  The sun started to make a showing I got closer back to home base. 

Despite the great beauty of the scene, I was happy as always to get back.  Took probably a good half-hour to stop shivering.

One post-swim topic was Linda the Lamprey's upcoming ENDWet North Dakota River Swim this Saturday the 19th, "a down-river swim ultra-marathon (27 miles in 2012-13, 36 miles starting in 2014) where swimmers  travel from rural ND into East Grand Forks, MN, on the mighty Red River of the North.  The longest swim race in North America!"  ENDWet = Extreme North Dakota Watersports Endurance Test.  Linda has been training for months and the Klode Kru wishes her the best of luck!





No comments: