Saturday, October 24, 2020

Dementia Protection

Next Swims: Mon - Fri 6:30 am? and 4:30pm 
Saturday, Sunday 8 am? and Noon

Last Swim: Saturday Noon
Water Temp: 44
Air Temp: 41-42 and partly sunny
Clarity: not really, worse by the rocks
Waves: 2-3 footers inside the rocks, changing steady 4-6" swells 
Kru: Itch, Rosie, Mr. Bubble, Mr. Anonymous, Blake, IceMoonDaug, Laguna
Shore Support: Linda the Lamprey and Rosie's friend on arrival, Diablo on departure, 

Quite a turnout today for a late season swim.  We didn't have any sun on arrival, and it was just a tiny bit windy.  That just made it all the more pleasant when the sun did come out later.  

While we were all suiting up, I mentioned this video produced by the BBC, highlighting a study that was done in the UK,  They found that cold water swimmers produce a protein which might protect us from dementia.  I thought everyone at the beach today would have heard about it already, but no one had. Here's the video sent to be by my friend, Terri (who's been a Klode guest star several times this year).  BBC Cold Water Swimming Video

You'll note on this video that the experimental subjects swam in water that was 7 Celsius, which just happens to be about the same temp as it was today at Klode = 44.6 F.  You may also notice these cold water swimmers are swimming in a pool - (WTF!).  Plus, the scientist says she needs to do more research to determine whether this cold water swimming protein will actually protect humans from dementia.  I guess it's proven to protect mice from dementia, but not yet proven to protect humans.  No matter, she told these cold pool water swimmers they were pretty cool - but I don't think it was an intended pun.  

Getting back to today - IceMoonDaug dived in first, wearing only his Speedo and a neoprene cap.  I heard Rosie comment "He's not even wearing gloves!".  Blake brought his new, full wetsuit and headed off shortly thereafter.  Daug made it back just when the rest of us were heading out.  Laguna was the last to arrive at the beach so he set off after I was in.  Saw him swimming past me a while later.  I was going to turnaround at the birches, but then the sun came out for a bit, so I was motivated to swim further. 

Killepitsch toast for today - Keep It Coming!

ps - any comments about whether 0630 weekday swims or 0800 weekend swims are still happening?  



4 comments:

Unknown said...

As a very old fellow swimmer, (age 72) I want to say that one of the first things I do in the morning is to read this blog! I've followed you all summer and I'm am a big cheerleader for those of you who are still venturing into freezing water. I've been at Klode swimming parallel to the shore and I've watched as you get ready to swim. It's great, I love the nicknames of your members, stay safe and keep on swimming!

Mr. Bubble said...

Thanks! Hope you’ll come over and say hi next time you’re watching us get ready🙂

jamie said...

Tuesday night. 45° beautifully calm and clear. A real treat. Sun and clear skies.....Rosey, Brick, and myself swam to M/S in almost idyllic conditions.
Felt so lucky to be on the beach. Top 10 swim of the season.....well..top 15! Was a pretty good season. Cu on the beach.

Wytosk said...

Halloween nooner is looking promising!