Wednesday, October 7, 2020

"This is a good decision" (about last night)

Next Swims: Mon - Fri 6:30 am and 5pm
Saturday, Sunday 8 am and Noon

Last Swim: Tuesday at 5
Water Temp: 47 per itch-o-meter 
Air Temp: 71 
Clarity: nice but not perfect, 8/10
Waves: flat
Kru: Mr. Bubble, Synchro, Itch, Brick, Rosie, Sandy, Sunny and Share Laguna, Super Hera, We'Taco, Diablo (second shift)
Shore Support:  Little Laguna

"This is a good decision" - these words uttered, with confidence, by Mr. Laguna, as he charged in to the 47 degree water with just his speedo and neoprene swim cap.  Sunny Laguna charged in shortly thereafter, also skin and with a Barbie.  I wished I had taken a picture as they were preparing - to capture the image of mom and dad, stripping down to their swim suits, with their daughter sitting nearby in her winter coat.  Quite iconic.  I asked them - "Which member of the family is showing the best judgement here?"  Shortly after that, dad uttered his good decision line.  

Swimming in below 50 degree water is getting to be a thing for me.  I always tell people who are hesitating as I'm wading in - "Don't think about it, just do it" - of course, I'm saying that mainly to convince myself, just like Laguna confirming his good decision.  However, saying you're not going to think about it doesn't mean your brain stops thinking.  When I dive in and get going, I'm amused to hear the voices speaking up in my cerebral cortext.  Last night, they were saying "Are you out of your (expletive) mind?".  Other times, they're more restrained, saying things like, "For real?  You're really going to swim in this?" or just "This is cold!".  But once I'm past the  rocks, my body is used to it and I proceed to enjoy myself, until it's time to get out.  

Unlike my last high 40's swim, the outside air was pretty warm and getting out of the wetsuit wasn't that bad, at first.  Also unlike the smart swimmers last night, I rode by bike to the beach and I only brought a long sleeve shirt to change in to.  Was feeling pretty cold down on the beach as I de-layered.  Brick brought some spicy pickles, which warmed me up a little.  But I was still shivering so much that I spilled some of the Killepitsch.  Talk about a waste of precious natural resources!  

Still shivering, I headed uphill ahead of the rest of the Kru, and was totally gratified to feel more and more warm breezes as I ascended.  First word popping in to my cerebral cortex was "Sirocco"!  Feeling much better when I got to the top, I met a nice couple, who had just locked up their bikes and I noticed that his bike was a fatty.  Of course, that lead to a conversation about the joys of fat biking, best places to go fat biking, fat bike races.  Sergio and his lady are originally from Germany, so that lead to a conversation about the Hugh Jass fat bike races, and how everyone is required to "hammerschlagen" after each lap.  

In the unlikely event that anyone is still reading and is interested in hearing more about fat bikes - I want to share that Wheel & Sprocket in Franklin is currently renting fat bikes.  None of the bike shops in town have been renting fat bikes during the past couple of years, so this is great news for anyone looking to become addicted to something else besides swimming at Klode 🏊🏊🏊🚴🚴🚴

No comments: