Friday, October 9, 2020

One More Time

Next Swims: Mon - Fri 6:30 am and 5pm
Saturday, Sunday 8 am and Noon

Last Swim: Friday at 5
Water Temp: 52/53 
Air Temp: 75
Clarity: dirty by shore, little better further off but not clear
Waves: strong current visible coming out of the south.  Intermittent sets of 2-3 footers

For once, I was glad the Atwater buoy was wrong.  At 3:30, it told me Water 48.9, Waves 3.3 ft per 5 s.  Expected it would be that cold or colder when I approached the water with the mitch-o-meter, and was pleasantly surprised to see the reading level out at 53.4.  Itch's reading was 52 on the other side of the barier.

From shore, it didn't look like there were 3 foot waves, so I thought, aha!  the buoy is wrong again.  But once I actually started swimming, there were these waves that would come on you in sets, and then slack off a little, then another set.  All the while swimming against a current.  I was determined to make it to Love Rock and did...seemed like forever.  Heading back, I felt like one of those Water Strider bugs, zipping along on the surface, propelled by that same current and waves.  I heard second hand that Diablo did a northbound swim and "that was not much fun".  

Consensus at Killepitsch time - not as nice as last night, but always good. Those warm breezes were especially nice.  

2 comments:

Moondaug said...

Hmm, I think it was more of a swell than a wave. The swells were very long and reminded me of a curvature of space/time as they rolled in to shore. Crew; Lunalaguna, Wetaco, Itch, Brick, Mr. Bubble, Moondaug.

Mr. Bubble said...

Sounds like the curvature of space/time was distorting my typing. I've made all sorts of copy paste errors in the past, but this is the first time I left out everyone. Thanks for having my back, MD