Thursday, June 2, 2022

Die Hards Only

 Next Swims - 6AM Friday and 5 pm weekdays?  

Maybe 6 am every day now? (check back) 
Sometimes 6:30 when people (i.e. myself) are squeezing out that extra half-hour of sleep.
Will try to keep these caprices to a minimum and post them on the blog.

Last AM Swim: 6-6:30 AM
    Wednesday, June 1
        Water Temp: 46-something, per Lydia the Tattooed Lady
         Air Temp: 70-ish, cloudy, windless
         Water Conditions:  Blessedly flat
         Clarity:  Wonderfully clear (compensation for the low temps)
         Kru:  Diablo and Magic Mike, early shift 6 a.m.; Showgirl, Tattooed Lady, Lt. MJ and Dragonfly. 6:30 a.m.


MJ encountered Diablo and Magic Mike in the parking lot.  Both shared assessments that it was really cold; Diablo miming a shiver.  TTL took the temperature because we had to know HOW cold.  "I have bad news for you ladies," she said.  "It's below 49 (Tuesday's temp) and still going down."  "Get out of the water now!" we urged her.  But she stayed until it stopped at 46.


MJ, Dragonfly, TTL.  Photo credit, Showgirl

We set out North.  It took a while to put our faces in--MJ was first to do so--but the clarity was worth it.  The dying alewives were clearly visible. My face even stopped hurting after about 400 yards and the air felt noticeably warm when I turned my head to breathe.  There was also a fair amount of backstroking!


Dragonfly, MJ, TTL.  Photo credit, Showgirl

I swam to the structure just past Sewer Pipe and MJ and TTL continued some unfathomable distance past that.  Showgirl had donated blood the evening before and opted for a brief skin dip.

I was thrilled with my 500-yard swim!  I am still feeling a bit post-op-ish so I was pretty fatigued.  Some of you know that my ankle was broken in a fall while ice skating at Wilson Park in March.  (In a strange turn of events, I was "rescued" off the ice by TTL's husband, an accomplished figure skater!  He produced an ace bandage and, since I couldn't walk, a chair  I sat on while Good Samaritans pushed me off the ice because of course I was a the farthest point from the entry.) I had to have some hardware installed via surgery, and boy do those screws look giant on the x-rays.  But it felt great to be in the water making my comeback!




    

4 comments:

Kahuna said...

46 (que Mr. Yuck face). Anybody thinking about swimminng at 5:00 tonight (Thursday)?

Magic Mike said...

I am, Kahuna. I was sorry I overslept this morning. AS I drove past the lake at 7, I saw how calm and beautiful it all looked. So I need redemption.

Also, LTTL, thank you for quantifying what I knew was going to be a shocking number. I saw Linda the Lamprey come out early. After five minutes, she said it was too cold for further swimming. If Linda says it's cold, you know it's cold!

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

Sorry I skipped Linda in the mentions! Thanks for adding, Mike!

Kahuna said...

Wow. Two gifted and talented people named Harini.