Saturday, June 25, 2022

Supple wetsuits and floating rafts

 Next Swims: Saturday, Sunday noon, M-F 6am and 5pm

Last Swim: Saturday 7 and 8
Water Temp: 57
Air Temp: 68
Waves: mostly flat, with a slight swell from the south
Clarity: 9/10
Kru: Showgirl, Laguna, Lydia the Tattooed Lady, Moondaug on the early shift. Magic Mike on the late shift.

I lingered over coffee this morning and didn't leave the house until about 8:00. So I thought I'd have a little catching up to do once I got to the lake. Turns out the four swimmers there were just wrapping up their swims. It seems you might find swimmers there as early as 7 on weekend mornings, it kinda depends.

The water was the same cold its been all week. It seems to be stuck looking up at 60 degrees and never quite getting there. It wasn't there today. But by the same token, all week the lake accepted intrepid skin swimmers and neoprene clad softies (like me) alike. We had a brief conversation about the relative suppleness of various models of wetsuits before the early swimmers departed and I headed into the water.

I heard tell (from Laguna) of a floating yoga matt/raft thing that was adrift in the bay. He suggested  I might be able to stop and play on it for a bit. Immediately I thought of the first place I had seen these things: Lake Geneva. I envisioned the children of some Winnetka millionaire jumping off their daddy's Chris-Craft and onto one of these floating rafts and diving into the water from it. But as I cleared the cove and started looking for this raft, it was nowhere to be found. People walking dogs along the shore. Seagulls paying just a little too much attention to me. Large schools of bait fish swimming beneath me. All this, but no floating yoga matt/raft thing. 

Went as far as the mudslide and back and got out just as a few drops of rain began. Good timing!



2 comments:

Magic Mike said...

An interesting story in today's NYT on "Wild Swimming in Beijing" https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/25/world/asia/beijing-china-swimming-holes.html?smid=url-share

Wytosk said...

Bueller? It was 70F not a cloud in the sky and turquoise 64F water and not a soul on the beach at 5pm. Did I enter a time warp? Was I really even there? Did yesterday even exist? Why are my hands so small?