Saturday, September 4, 2021

Weekend mornings are awesome

Next swims: Sun. & Mon. at 7am, 8am, and noon; T-F 6am and 5pm


Last swim: Saturday 7am, 8am

Air temp: mid 60s

Water temp: 71/72...Mr Bubble came and took the temp, but, as the rest of us were all coming in from having swum, he did not audibly report the temp. But it was the kind of warm that makes you want to stay in the water for a while after the swim. You know its chillier out in the air than it is in the water! I think this is the first time I've written a friggin' paragraph by way of reporting the water temp. 

Waves: 2 ft swells

Clarity: None in the cove (2/10), moderate clarity (7/10) out in the open water.

Kru: DragonflyRiffraff, Lydia the Tattooed Lady, Luna Laguna, Showgirl, two training triathletes at least one of whom has swum with us before, Magic Mike, a nice woman I've spoken with a couple of times without internalizing her name (sorry), 8am shift: Mr. Bubble, Kim.


I had missed three days of swimming prior to this morning. It felt like a month. Happy to be back in the water. I was reluctant as I headed to the beach. It was cloudy, there had been some pretty active waters in the second half of the week. I wasn't sure what I'd encounter in the way of water conditions. But, as many of us know, that reluctance dissipates pretty fast when you get around your friends who swim. It's not exactly peer pressure, more like inertia. This is what we're all here to do, we enjoy doing it. Why was I even thinking of not swimming? So I swam.

And the reward. Some nice waves coming from the southeast: predictable, fairly large, kinda fun. These made the southerly swim a bit of a challenge. They made the return trip pretty darned nice. Water was generously warm. We are swimming at the end of the first week in September and it's still over 70. Not unheard of by any means. But still, really nice. 

I swam out (south) before others got into the water, unsure of whether the consensus was to swim south or north. So, after a few hundred yards, I stopped and looked back to determine whether I was alone in swimming south or not.  Unbeknownst to me, Megan was right at my elbow. She greeted me in her typically friendly way, scaring the bejesus outa me. I tried not to reveal that reaction. I love the way, as often as we swim, and as familiar as we feel in the water, we can still be thrown for a loop. The waves and my expectations had hid the fact that there was a swimmer right near me, even when I was looking for swimmers.  Weird and delightful. 

The noon swimmers are all just making their turn as I write. I hope to see as many as possible up in the Falls tomorrow! Thanks Synchro.

Happy Labor Day weekend.

2 comments:

Synchro said...

I didn't make it to the noon swim, but that's only because I was busy making rum punch! (hic)
Hope to see everyone soon. Call if you need directions!

Mr. Bubble said...

I actually had a reading of 69°, but the thermometer probe was being tossed around. It was definitely a rougher ride for Kim and I - those 2 footers became 3 footers at more frequent intervals. Another roller coaster, like Friday at 5