Saturday, September 11, 2021

Farewell to Klode Swim 0700 Sunday

 Last Swims: Saturday, 9/11 @ 0700

Next swims:
Sunday, 9/12 @ 0700 - Come join me for a farewell to Klode swim
Usual Sunday - 0800 and Noon
Monday-Friday, 0600 and 1700
Following Saturday/Sunday, 0700, 0800 and 1200

Water temp: 66 per mitch-o-meter
Air temp: 66 on arrival,
Swell: smooth with gentle swells up to 4"
Clarity: almost perfect, 9/10.  Could see bottom
Kru:  Mr. Bubble, Magic Mike and fellow SHS pedagog Ms. Mooney
Tardy:  Handyman Hank, followed by Diablo doing pullups in the park



Everyone reading this has probably heard that Klode Beach will be closed for 4 weeks starting this Monday, 9/13.  That's when they'll be doing the Klode Park Beach Restoration and Shoreline Stabilization Project.  Depending on the weather, it could potentially be closed for as long as 7 weeks.  

So, I thought it would be fitting to have some kind of official send off on Sunday - a southerly migration.  I'll be doing a one way swim from Klode to Big Bay, and hoping some of you will join me.  I'll be prepared to shuttle any other one way swimmers from Big Bay back to Klode.  

My plan is to drive my bike in my van over to Big Bay Park, park the van there and then bike up to Klode, arriving by 7 am.  I'd like to start swimming that early to avoid having to deal with any boaters.  I think the swim from Klode to Big Bay is something like 1.2 miles?  Once everyone has arrived at Big Bay, I'll load people up in my van and head back to Klode.  

The one gotcha with all this is that I'm a pretty slow swimmer compared to the rest of the Kru.  I can do a 51 minute mile in light choppy conditions.  So, to avoid a long wait at Big Bay Park, you might want to give me a 10 or 15 minute head start.  Or just arrive at Klode later and start later.   

In other news...don't believe any rumors you hear about someone calling 911 on a slow swimmer who was out in the big waves last night.  However, there is truth to the story that someone left their car keys on the barrier wall last night, right next to where I usually set my backpack.  The keys were still there this morning.  

Fitting musical accompaniment:  So Long, Farewell, from Sound of Music, circa 1965





















8 comments:

Rose Adams said...

So no more Klode swims after Sunday? Or is there an alternative plan?

Mr. Bubble said...

My plan is to just switch to Big Bay while Klode is shut down, and I think there are some folks who have the same idea. Some other folks may be doing their own thing at different locations.

cage said...

Hi there! My name is Kj. Google led me to your blog and I was wondering if I could swim with your Kru when I'm back in Milwaukee, in about 2 weeks. I do regular OWS in the Pacific 2- 3 times per week, and do a 2:30ish 100/ ~ 40min mile. I'll be honest, I'm not a morning person, so your afternoon/evening swims is when I would join. Let me know and thanks for reading.
- kj (kjlangill@gmail.com)

Magic Mike said...

KJ-
There is always room for one more in the lake. Come at 5!

rsm said...

Kj--the usual starting location is closed as Whitefish Bay is completing beach restoration. There are some of the group swimming from Big Bay Park which is south of Klode. Northshore Nancy and Handyman Hank will probably swim with a group at Atwater (also south of Klode)--I heard the Patriarch swims there and I have yet to see him this season!

Fred said...

Although primarily about stair climbing, a little love for Lake Michigan swimming.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/this-milwaukee-man-runs-up-77-flights-of-stairs-at-4-a-m-11631527200
You are all encouraged to join me anytime.

cage said...

Thanks Magic Mike! Will you br swimming out of Big Bay or Atwater as Klode is klosed?

cage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.