Friday, September 3, 2021

Eureka, Flat Rock!!

 Next swims: Monday-Friday, 6 am and 5 pm

Saturday/Sunday, 7 am, 8 am and Noon
Last Swims: Friday, 6 AM
Water Temp:  69 per Forger's toe-mometer, warmer away from the rocks
Waves:  swells from the south
Clarity:  "salt-water clarity" per Mermaid Princess - maybe 5 out of 10
Air Conditions:  low 70s
Kru:  Showgirl, Mermaid Princess, Luna Laguna, Forger, Dragonfly.  Handyman Hank on late shift
Sea Support: one barge with a team shovel, perhaps heading to Mt. JackA**
Shore Support:  Deceased seagull, I didn't get too close

After some discussion, we swam South, straight out past the rock then turning right to avoid the bright green algae slicks.  It had been awhile for most of us heading South.  Just as we cleared the rocks, a dramatic red sun peeped up over the horizon, flattened by a layer of cloud.

The water was surprisingly warm, so we kept going, past picnic table/staircase, Love Rock/staircase, Sewer Pipe, new Rockwall, Newer Rock wall.  It was getting to be 1,100 yards and I thought about turning, but know there's often a turning-point meetup and I wanted to find it.  

Then I heard shrieks! At first my lifeguard instincts kicked in and I thought, "A child is in trouble!  How will I get there in time?" and had a bad moment.  Then I realized it was probably my friends, and sure enough, was that someone standing up out of the water in a most improbably Flat Rock fashion?  I churned a few strokes further.  It was!

Sunny Luna Laguna was up on Flat Rock, Mermaid Princess climbed up beside her.  I struggled to find purchase - 

"Slippery Rock."

"They don't call it Safety Rock!"

"Danger Rock!"

The three of us waited for Showgirl, who had veered pretty far offshore.  Although both air and water were quite warm, my legs started to shiver uncontrollably.

"I wish someone would bring me a hot towel," MP commented.

Showgirl arrived and the four of us stood in triumph, noting as carefully as we could the V-shaped tree on shore that marked the location; a couple dozen yards to the north was a corner of concrete walls.  I realize these descriptions are not very precise!  But when you see them, you will know what I meant!

The return trip was long but pleasant, I tried not to overtax myself.  

Right before the rocks, the water turned suddenly dark.  A pop-up weather event?  No, I had just blundered into the algae slick.  Fortunately it was pretty narrow at that point.  

Not as weird as Thursday when, kicking while treading water, the sole of my foot made contact with something that felt warm....and like skin....Mr. Bubble?  No, there was no one around me.  I shrieked!  And Tattooed Lady shrieked!  "Let's get out of here!"  She speculated a fish.  Are fish warm?  I saw a half-filled balloon on the surface.  Maybe a balloon?  But it was warm....a mystery...

See you all at Syncho's on Sunday!

No comments: