Sunday, August 15, 2021

Scratching back

 Next Swims: M-F 6am and 5pm; Sat & Sun 7am, 8am, noon


Last swim: Sat and Sun 7/8am

Air temp: 65

Water temp: 54 Saturday and 58 Sunday

Waves: basically flat Saturday, very gentle rollers in from the east Sunday

Clarity: beautifully clear... 9.5/10 - 10/10 both days

Kru: Saturday: 7am- Showgirl, DragonflyRiffRaff, Mermaid Princess, Lt. MJ, Magic Mike; 8am- Mr Anonymous, Laguna Mike, Kahuna

Sunday: 7am- DragonflyRiffRaff, Showgirl, Cindy, Lt. MJ, Jenny, I hope I didn't miss someone; 8am- Mr. Bubble, Handyman Hank, Magic Mike

Shore support: Squeeze o Showgirl

After the cold water of the early part of the week, this weekend appears to be an effort on the part of the sun and the lake to bring the temperatures back a little closer to normal for this time of year. It looks like we are scratching back to swimmable temps! It would be interesting to hear what the noon swimmers experience. 

I have noticed a gender break in the weekend morning swims. Saturday morning there were four women swimming the 7 o'clock shift and, if I would have slept in, four men on the 8 o 'clock shift. I did sleep in on Sunday and there were at least five women at 7 and three men at 8. I wonder about that. No matter who is in the water, when the sun shines and the water is clear and calm, there is little in the way of an excellent swim. 

Both days, I found myself planning on a relatively short swim. Then, before I knew it, I was bobbing around at the mudslide talking myself out of going further. It's probably good to get back to shore and the rest of the life we all live. But there is always that what-if-I-keep-swimming? scenario to contend with! I wanted to say something about what a pleasure these August mornings are (and they really are!). But then I thought that there is not that much difference between those pleasures and the pleasures of July swims and June swims. So just keep swimming, be glad for the lake, and look forward to socializing with Kru-mates on Sept 5 (thanks in advance Synchro!).


3 comments:

RussJ said...

It is shocking to read that you are all swimming in those water temperatures. I swim in this same Great Lake near the WI/IL border and the water has been holding around 70F most days for about a month now! Cheers!

Magic Mike said...

Russ-
You lucky guy! It seems we are always stuck with a pod of cold water mid summer to test our patience. Last week was ours. Where do you swim from? A particular beach?

RussJ said...

Most of the time swimming off Illinois Beach State Park or Waukegan Beach, both very nice beaches. ⛱.