Wednesday, August 11, 2021

A Bridge Too Far!! (cold water remains)

 Next swims: 
    M-F, 6am and 5pm; 
    Sat & Sun, 7am, 8am and noon  

Last swim: 6am Wednesday (and other, un-blogged swims)
Air temp:  70
Water temp: 54.  FIFTY-FOUR!  FIFTY-F-ING-FOUR
Waves: small swells out of the south 
Clarity: Not really
Kru: Tattoo Lady, Dragonfly, Showgirl, Mermaid Princess, Caroline (a new friend)
Shore Support: Linda the Lamprey, plus a group of screaming younglings
Suspiciously Absent:  the Wim Hoffers



Thumbs Down to the cold water.

tl;dr  the water is still f-ing cold, and the air was very foggy, but we swam anyway.

TTL brought her wetsuit, and I dug around in my car and found mine. Mermaid Princess had her sleeveless and sleeves.  Dragonfly went skin!

Twenty-feet or so from the water, we passed through the invisible wall of cold air and learned the truth:  in spite of last night's storms, the water is still cold.

With much, much grumbling and use of the f-bomb (okay, that may have just been me) TTL, MP, and I struggled into our wetsuits.  I initially declared that gloves and booties were A Bridge Too Far! but ultimately put on the booties, and was happy I did.

Dragonfly did an amazing 400yd swim, skin!

I trailed after TTL, doing the elementary backstroke until I finally sucked it up and put my face in the water.  She and I made it to the garage, where I handed her my barbie and I headed back.  She swam further.

By the time I made it back to the Klode neighborhood, I was feeling better and swam south for a bit.

I know that in early May, we would have been happy to have 54 degree water, but....... It's August, and we like our 70 degrees.  Nay, we deserve our 70 degrees.  <sigh>

Yep, it was foggy.


3 comments:

eric jernberg said...

55 at noon

Synchro said...

now ATWATER's saying 45 degrees!

Wytosk said...

Did a pool today. Was very warm. Its that or drive to muskegon.