Sunday, May 30, 2021

Sunday, early shift

 Probable next swims

Mon - Fri 6 am and afternoons at 4 pm?
Sat/Sun 8am and noon
Memorial Day, 8 a.m. & noon.

Last Swim: Sunday 9/30 @ 8 am
Water Temp: 51 per bubbleometer 
Air Temp: low to mid 50s
Clarity: Zero
Waves: ever so slight NE swell 
Kru: Showgirl, Mr. Anonymous, Jenny, Mr. Bubble, Dragonfly
Shore support:  Two whitish dogs north of the barrier

SUNNY.
Driving over the Hoan Bridge, things looked promising.  Smoke (steam?) from the Miloganite plant going straight up = no wind.  None.

We were a quiet bunch as we suited up.  Mr. Bubble took the temp "51 - but I don't believe it.  Feels like 47."
Jenny: "It's an improvement over yesterday."

We headed north.  As always, the beginning is the toughest.  Just try to keep moving until Sewer Pipe.  By then warmed up, at least as much as I'm going to get.  It did seem 51 rather than 47 - face not freezing and even  finger tips okay.  I visualized blood circulating strongly in them - maybe even a few flames shooting out - as I used them to maximize extension on each stroke.  After awhile noticed that while my fingers were okay, my palms were cold.

We churned away for 30 minutes or more, some getting to or near New Mudslide.  Heading out had a a great rhythm, and the sun so extravagantly abundant everywhere, even warming my back and legs.  Passed first rock wall fairly easily, my initial goal. Go another hundred to hit 800 yards? maybe Mudslide?  Settled prudently for 50 more yards.  I seemed to be all alone out here, though later learned others were probably close.  

Turned back with a little gas left in the tank.  Good thing, as return trip a bit harder - not sure why - mind games? Somehow  drifted way in toward shore.  Still felt reasonably if not uber-strong so kept slashing along and slowly crept past garage, kayak, false garage, Kraken, and then the flatlands which house Sewer Pipe. Passing the final rockpile (also has a Kraken) took inordinately long but at last around the corner and in to shore.  Always so welcome!

We shivered into clothes and my left hand especially is so weak - no grip at all as I unzip wetsuit & peel off socks. Best and longest swim yet, and we enthusiastically make plans for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Luna Laguna said...

I love your poetic writing!