Saturday, August 6, 2022

Point to La Pointe Recap (we were cheating on Lake Michigan)

Next swims: Sun 8am (?) and 12noon, M-F 6am and 5pm

Last swim: Saturday 7:30AM, Bayfield, WI, Lake Superior

Water temp: 65 with plenty of chop

Air temp: 70's and overcast

Waves: building chop

Clarity: meh

Kru: Lt. MJ, H-FON, Mermaid Princess, Showgirl, Dragonfly, Corryn, Abby, Stephanie, Danny, Brady (the Milwaukee Mermen!), Kathy, Jill, Brian, Lydia the Tattoo'd Lady

Shore Support: Mr. Dragonfly, SOS, Josh, Alex, Tom, Dan-O, Dan, and Andy, who are Squeezes of Danny, Corrine, Abby, TTL, Lt MJ, Cindy (aka HFON), respectively

In the previous blog post, Kahuna wrote so very eloquently about the how-to's of swimming with the Klode Kru in Lake Michigan.

However, this weekend, a sizeable contingent of the Kru abandoned the frigid waters of Lake Michigan and headed into the great Up North to Bayfield, WI to swim in the balmy Lake Superior.

We were swimming in the Point to La Pointe race, which is (theoretically) a 2.1 mile swim between Bayfield and Madeline Island.

Several members of the Klode Kru finished impressively:

Cindy (aka HFON) finished THIRD in her age group, followed by Mermaid Princess at 5th.  HFON is pictured below holding her fabulous trophy--- a P2LP coozie.

Cindy holding the 3rd place trophy, wearing her trophy from a previous year.


Corryn and Abby also finished in the top ten of their age group.

Brian (does Brian have a nickname?) finished FIRST in his age group and 5th OVERALL!

Some of the group have done the event many times-- Cindy is on her 8th P2LP.  Several of us were anxious first-timers, nervously watching the water temps in the days leading up to the event.

Fortunately, the water turned warm, pushing hypothermia further down the list of worries.  During the race there was increasing chop, and a current that pushed many swimmers off course.  I was thrilled just to finish the race, though if I could have swam in a straight line I would have finished significantly sooner.  Nevertheless, I will wear my P2LP hoodie with pride.


Here are some pics before the race:









And here is one post-event pics:






8 comments:

Other Dave said...

Congratulations to all who finished the ‘22 Point to LaPointe swim. Well done, Kru! Meanwhile, the remaining Kru slugged its way through some dramatically different temps at Klode this weekend. Upper 60’s Sat, then mid 50’s on Sun. The big lakes move in mysterious ways. Congratulations to Brian Link of Wauwatosa on his overall 5th pace finish, as well as Brady Huemann of Milwaukee on his 20th overall place. Outstanding!

Magic Mike said...

I am sorry I wasn't able to be there with you all. I took a look at the results mid day Saturday. Seems like a lot of people struggled. Overall winning time was significantly slower than yers past. People who I know swim fast, took longer than I would have thought to complete. But that is always such an enjoyable swim, regardless of speed. I hope you all really enjoyed it!

Lieutenant MJ said...

Mike - we missed you up there! It was a slog for sure. Strong current pulling to the North. At one point I swear the smoke was getting further away. My first mistake was stopping to look at my watch at what I was convinced had to be the halfway point and I had only gone 1300 yards or so. My second mistake was watching other swimmers - then I remembered Showgirl's comment about the "Yellow Brick Road of Kayakers" and managed to stay in between them. Buoys? Never saw them after the second one - and maybe saw the halfway buoy out of the corner of my eye - waaaaay to my right. (Did I mention the strong current pulling to the North :) ) Still - very fun event and great weekend!

Hurricane said...

You’re right Mike the whole field was slow due to the conditions. Even the top swimmers were 10-12 minutes slower than usual. It wasn’t especially rough it was just a wicked cross current. It was, by far my slowest swim on the course. If I had tied my fasted Point to LaPointe swim I would have gotten 3rd overall. 😂

Kahuna said...

Outstanding! And Congratulations to all.

Moondaug said...

I'll second that motion!

Wytosk said...

Excellent job all. Glad you got some warm water up north!

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

Thanks everyone! What a great experience. Who knew I could thrash I mean swim for 2+ hours straight?