Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Angels & Demons, a Devilishly Good Swim, and Lurking Crocodiles

 

Next Swims: Weekdays, M-F at 6AM, and at 5PM; Sat/Sun noon, and a morning weekend swim as well, usually at 8AM both days (post a comment if you want to encourage or set another time)

Last Swim: 6AM Tuesday

Water Temp: 66.6, but may have been a bit warmer away from the rocks

Air Temp: 75 ish 

Waves: Zip, zero, zilch 
Clarity: Crystal away from the rocks
Kru: Magic Mike, Handyman Hank, Julie/Mermaid Princess, Linda da Lamprey, Mr. A, Angela (I think, if I've got her name right), Kahuna

The reason for the title of this post is the infernal water temp (66.6 on the nose, per the Kahuna 5000), and the fact that I met Angela as I was walking back from my very pleasant morning swim.  (I hope I have her name right.  Appologies if I don't.  It could have been "Angelica.")  And it was a devilishly good swim this morning.

The good news also is the "dead carcus" stench is gone.  Woo-hoo!  The almost bad news is we've got "the green/brown muck" moving towards the beach.  It's not at our main beach yet, but it is south of us, and I could see it gunking up our beach (as it has gunked up portions of Bradford Beach).  Hopefully, the "pea soup muck" won't attack, as wading through a thick mat of that is not an appealing start or finish to a swim.  This morning at the beach, you can smell the muck from the beach south of us, but it's not really a bad smell, at least not yet.

Weirdly, from a distance, the floating gunk mats look like lurking crocodiles.  Or at least they did to me, but I have an "Adventures of Tarzan" mindset:




Maybe it's time I started swimming with my great big knife again.

3 comments:

Wytosk said...

Smell is better, not gone. However just not being by the south rocks gives one cleaner smelling air. Swam north, others swam south. Lovely, clear, warm, away from the rock pyre of carcasses.

Kahuna said...

Water 59.3 degrees, and waveyish on Wednesday morning, with middling clarity.

Dolphina said...

Any reports on conditions from this morning for PM swimmers? Was a lot colder than the buoy indicated on Tuesday night, but crystal clear at Big Bay.