Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Smells Good, Feels Good

Beach: Klode
Water temp: 62
Waves: Choppy one footers
Crew: Cap'n, Gumdrop, Mike, Sandie, Patriarch
Water Clairity: Clear
Next swim: Klode Thursday 6AM (or a little earlier, Brian needs to get to work)
If it warms up further, we may do an afternoon or evening swim today, stay tuned

I drove into the Klode parking lot expecting a repeat of yesterday's shiverfest. But Cap'n claimed he could tell the lake was warmer by the smell. I ignored him, thinking it was rum talking. But damn it, he was right. Ten degrees warmer than yesterday. That's why he's the Cap'n.

We swam from the south end of the beach to "rockpile" and back, about a mile and a quarter. The choppiness made for extra effort, everyone was complaining about tired arms and shoulders. (People think we're tough guys for swimming in the lake every day, but mostly we whine a lot.)

Usually it's the Cap'n who offers up crackpot theories, but I have one of my own today. I noticed yesterday that I've dropped seven pounds. And even though I'm eating like a pig, I'm ravenously hungry all the time. Swimming in a pool doesn't do that to me, so my theory is that swimming in cold water burns mega calories and kicks up the metabolism. I'm thinking of writing a book, "Freezing Your Butt Off, The Patriarch's Lake Michigan Weight Loss Plan".

No comments: