Saturday, October 23, 2021

Walking on Sunshine

 Next swims:
Monday-Friday:  6:30 am and 5 pm
Saturday/Sunday: 8 am and Noon

Last Swim:  Saturday Noon 
Water Temp:  57
Air Temp:  50 on arrival, 55 on departure
Waves:  2-3 footers coming pretty frequently.  
Clarity: Little murky but pretty good.  6/10
Kru:  
Early Shift:  Itch and Rosie
Noon Shift:  Blake, The Other Dave, Moondaug, Rachel, Mr. Bubble

Arrived to see Itch and Rosie putting their street clothes on.  Was a little disoriented at first - kept thinking about the movie Tenet, where people and objects can be turned in to some kind of anti-matter that can move backwards in time.  Difficult to explain if you haven't seen the movie.  Difficult to understand the movie, too.  🤔

Once again, it's awesome swimming in water that's substantially warmer than the air.  Plus bright sunshine makes the air feel warmer than it really is.  I originally thought I'd go swim at 8 today, until I saw the forecast air temp at that time was 39.  Some other brave souls went at 8 and reported that the water felt warm, they just felt cold when they got out of that warm water.  That's life at Klode in October, except the water is usually colder.   

Hopefully everyone knows by now that Klode Beach is 100% open

Best Swim of the Season
Thanks for bringing it Rachel!

Today's Musical Accompaniment
Walking on Sunshine, by Katrina and the Waves, circa 1983





11 comments:

Other Dave said...

My apology to Mr. Bubble. I mistakenly thought you were Magic Mike on the beach today. Wow, this cold water swimming makes things complicated at times 🤔

Mr. Bubble said...

No offense taken. It's called Cold Water on the Brain syndrome :)

eric jernberg said...

Im swimming at 10:30 Sunday due to family gathering later if anyone wants to brave it

Dolphina said...


Here I am listening to the rain and reading "Walking on Sunshine". I am deeply grateful for all these posts about how good the warm water felt. It wound me up. Now it is dark, raining (no thunder) and the decision to brave it must be a speedy one. Did some of you go at 10:30?

Mil Gracias!

Other Dave said...

Water temp held at 57 today, with turquoise water. Vis was at arm’s length … good considering the wave action. Everyone got bounced whether they went north or south, and that is what made this swim FUN. Itch, Rosie, Brick, Sandy went early. Mr. Bubble, Julie, Amelia, Erin, Diablo and yours truly finished up the deal at noon. Tomorrow looks imposing …

Dolphina said...


Thank you Yours Truly. I am too breathless to say more. Imposing is an excellent describer for the beautiful black winged breakers I just crawled away from after forty plus minutes of Swimming Savage. No idea re water temp. It felt warm next to 48 degree air...Mas tarde.

Dolphina said...


Correction on last night's air temp: It was 51 degrees.

Just visited the so awesome beach. The spray that bounced off the rock wall was warm. The sun illuminated the water to a perfect Caribbean aqua. A lone surfer turned around and went home. At the point where the waves were almost doable--I'd guess 6-7 feet. Much higher in smaller bays...Current looks to be fast for the temps and wave heights. TA Dum...

I'll check later!

Anybody try it?

Rick from Boston said...

Hey Klode Kru! I'll be in Milwaukee for a few weeks over the holidays and am hoping for some chilly swims in the Big Lake. I also thought that some of you might be interested in this:

https://raceid.com/en/races/7550/about

-Rick from Boston

Dolphina said...


October 27,2021
Water temp estimate: 53-54 or colder. Air 50. Three and four foot breakers moving rather fast and hard--but it was a fun beach day. And gorgeous. The water with the sunlight though it was vivid green and clear. The clouds were puffs of gray and white on robin's egg blue. Now add the yellow sumac.

My hands and feet were the color of beets when I got out. It felt much warmer than it was when I just sampled it--until I committed my body to the surf. I still have hopes for this east wind. The warm water has got to be somewhere, doesn't it? Or did those monster waves earlier in the week absorb it into the bottom water?

Dolphina said...


Surf report says 59 degree water, 55 degree air. 6.5 foot waves. My pals who were out this morning reported water temp in very low fifties.

Though there is still time to stand corrected, I think the sensors lie.

All reports welcome.

Dolphina said...


Saturday October 30

Water temp about 50-51? Is this Baltic?

Air about the same

2 foot waves

It took a while before I could even put my hands in. Eventually I was all in, but could only tolerate putting my face down for shortish periods. Then I started to feel sort of OK but knew I had to get out. Forty plus minutes had gone by. My watch stopped. Flames in the fingertips and toes for a day after. Well. And yet I felt SO GREAT! Such a summer!

Better temps and onshore winds late next week. Is there hope?