Monday, July 5, 2021

6@6@Flat Rock

Next Swims: 6a.m. and 5 p.m.  Monday - Friday 
Saturday - Sunday - 8 a.m. [probable, may vary] and NOON FOR SURE. 

Last Swim: 6 a.m. - July 5th from Big Bay 
 Water Temp: 63 
 Air Temp: Upper 80's, sun-in-haze, breezy 
 Waves: amazingly flat 
 Clarity: Crystal 
Kru: Showgirl, Rick from Boston, Lydia the Tatooed Lady, Luna Laguna, Dragonfly, Adam (without beer.) 

Met up with Showgirl on Bartlett Ave., proceeded to the Lake path where Lydia headed toward us, ID'd at some distance by her pink crocs. 

 At bottom met with Rick, waiting on the wall. A few moments later, "Sunny" Luna and Adam strolled up. 

Rick confided that he had already been nicknamed Captain Zero, "but I like Rick from Boston better" which led to a discussion of nicknames and getting one by doing or saying something stupid - "that's why I haven't said anything yet," Adam noted wisely. 

I was almost last in, still partly asleep or more truthfully, just reluctant. Adam was last, adjusting ear plugs. 

I don't HAVE to swim to Flat Rock again, I said to myself, getting cold around 600 yards. I was just there yesterday, I reasoned. And yet soon in similar with only 150 more yards to Flat Rock, Rick and Luna already up. I watched as Showgirl and Lydia arrived and climbed up. Then my turn - made it! We stood grandly in a row, warmed (more than yesterday, thankfully) by a hot breeze. 

 "Why is this so weird?" I asked. 
"It's just so wrong," replied Lydia, on my right.
 
We even turned and looked out toward Klode. Rick observed he didn't feel like swimming further.
Luna was the first to head back, crouching to get a really flat dive. Lydia and I followed in sync. 

My return trip was even more of a struggle than yesterday's. I was very conscious that the water was 3 degrees colder. Fortunately there were some warm patches and I kept reminding myself of the warm air and hot sun overhead. But a couple of times I felt weak, and resorted to a spot of backstroke, which helped a little.

Just before the exit point, swam over a huge school of fingerlings - maybe 4 to 6 inches long? Fish size estimates are like wave heights. Divide by 2. 

Back on shore, Lydia commented that she had turned a couple hundred yards after leaving Flat Rock and seen Adam standing on it. So we all achieved it, which was satisfying. 

 Adam arrived shortly, looking cold. He was going home to a small child and a baby, this was probably the easiest part of his day. 

We bade farewell to Rick for another year. He invited us to come swim in Boston.

9 comments:

Rick from Boston said...

It was lovely swimming with my friends--some old, many new--from the Klode Kru. I will cherish some fine memories of Lake Michigan and its denizens. For the record, I believe the nickname that Patriarch bestowed was "Dr. Zero," but you'll have to confirm with him. Please give him my best!

And I'm serious about welcoming any and all of you to Boston. I know the local waters well, and my gang always enjoys visitors. You can reach me at: richard_born@hms.harvard.edu. Twenty-four hours notice is all I ask.

Be well! Keep swimming.

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

Oh Good Lord! I am sorry, Doctor Zero/ Rick!! I had the feeling I was going to make that mistake. I felt it coming for me.

Lauren said...

Hi! Lauren from Chicago here. Just moved to Milwaukee, missing Foster beach but excited to start my lake swim season here. Where do the 5 pm swims start?

Dragonfly Riffraff said...

Klode beach in Whitefish Bay. Kru gathers at flagpole...if you are a few minutes late you will find them near the south metal barrier that borders the beach.

Adam Clarke said...

Can confirm that was the easiest part of my day. Great swim!!

Wytosk said...

Well the smart people woke up early to swim. By noon it was 58 and colder in parts. Still crystal clear, fishes, and flat as can be. I was surprised given the strong wind from the west. We’ll see if this weather the next two days brings back our warm water!

Wytosk said...

Just checked the ‘beach forecast’ link and its looking like north winds thru thursday then the golden ticket east winds fri, sat, sun. Fingers crossed!

Stickler said...

Can someone who has access to change things on the page change the link for the Atwater Buoy Temps to this link: https://glbuoys.glos.us/45013 ? I'm thinking that maybe that other link is out of surface. If you scroll down on this one, it shows the history of the water temp at 3 ft depth.

Showgirl said...

Only Ted and Greg (Cap'n & Patriarch) have admin rights on the blog. The rest of us are mere staff writers.