Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Sun and Moon

 Next swims: 

Mon - Fri 6am, 5pm; Sat & Sun 8am and noon


Last Swim: Wednesday, 6 a.m.


Air temp:
 66
Water temp: Warmer than the air, estimated and toe-mometers at 67
Waves:  mild chop
Clarity: Not too clear but blue, not brown
Kru:  Showgirl, Dragonfly, Doug & Bill.  Sandy on the later shift.
Shore Support:  Mermaid Princess

I was apprehensive about the swim as we were only 48 hours out from a major MMSD dump....but in that time the winds and currents had been pushing the mess south.  Indeed it seemed one of the cleaner days and if it wasn't clear, it was a nice shade of blue.  Showgirl caught a slight odor near the rocks but I smelled nothing, even though I was prepared to.  We have swam in much worse, many times.

The sun didn't actually rise, but peeped artistically through the clouds.  On my right breaths was the sun, on my left, the waning gibbous moon.  We swam north and had a strong push back south.


 A decent swim and I'm glad I went.  I did take a shower though when I got home!

3 comments:

Stickler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stickler said...

FYI, I just talked w Bill Graffin, MMSD Public Information Officer, and he said the combined sewer overflow event didn't fully end until yesterday (Wed). He says that it's a slow ending process because so much water is flowing. Just want to let everyone know since there's no more beach monitoring after Labor Day. Also, Bill said WFB is on own system and I can't find info on what they did in response to latest storm.

Wytosk said...

Good to know! WFB has separate storm and waste. So the stuff that flows into the lake in WFB is street gunk, runoff and rain, and once, a raccoon whom Cap’n chaperoned back to the beach. Thankfully the 3 rivers where the overflows are coming are effluent under the hoan. And we’ve had some merciful north winds. Those things bode well for our little beach. Fingers crossed. It was gorgeous on tuesday PM. Just tranquil.