Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Who'll Stop the Rain?

Next Swims:  Mon-Fri @ 6 am and 5 pm, Saturday/Sunday @ Noon
Last Swim:  Tuesday @ 5pm
Water Temp:  55 
Air Temp:  63 and cloudy.  
Clarity:   Variably murky but not muddy     
Waves: steady 6-8" with winds behind them
Kru:  Mr. Bubble, Itch, Synchro,  Mary Jo

"Never tell me the odds!" - Han Solo
So, unfortunately, I had been letting someone tell me the odds...The Weather Channel.  One minute there's a 40% chance of rain at 5 pm, then short while later it's 60%.  By 4 pm, the Weather Channel app is showing a subscript messages saying thunderstorms will start in your area at 5:45 pm.  

Armed with that data, I arrived at the beach around 4:30 and decide to swim north, where it's sunnier.  I want to be done with the swim before 5:45, when the thunderstorms will start, right?  Looked over my shoulder a few times while swimming north and see darker and darker clouds gathering over Klode.  The winds seem to be picking up and waves getting choppier so time to turn around.

Arrived on shore just as Mary Jo got there..  Itch and Synchro come on down shortly thereafter.  I'm already in my suit and have my barbie inflated so might as well swim again.  Four of us head out north.  Skies over Klode don't look as ominous this time.  First three of us arrive at about the same time, Itch comes along 10 or so minutes later.  During those few minutes before Itch arrives, we had a light but steady drizzle for about 4 minutes.  Maybe a few drops after that.  Still no thunderstorm by 6:30.  

The Four of us overcame the odds!!!
So now, you can stop wondering "Who'll Stop the Rain?" 

As long as I remember
The rain's been comin' down
Clouds of mystery pourin'
Confusion on the ground
Good men through the ages
Tryin' to find the sun
And I wonder, still I wonder
Who'll stop the rain?

No comments: